Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Basil Time!

While it may not be my favorite food truck, Basil Thyme is probably the best of those I frequent regularly. The ingredients they use to make their lasagnas are top notch -- I've never had a bad slice here. For just $10, you can get a slice of lasagna, a beverage, and a cannoli. They have four types of lasagna, plus a manicotti, and the flavor of cannoli varies each day. The last time I was here, it was mocha. The service is really quick. There's almost never a line, and it's never taken more than a minute for me to get my lunch.

I've never had the manicotti, but I've had all three of their non-seasonal lasagnas. The 'Linda' is a traditional lasagna, like your mother used to make, and the variety that I almost always get, at least ever since they stopped making the Pasquale. The Lisetta is made with slow-roasted pork in a vodka sauce, while the Catena is a shallot and white wine sauteed lasagna with plenty of spinach. I don't particularly like cooked spinach, so the Catena isn't really my thing, but my wife loves it, so I trust it's just a matter of taste. The Giuseppe is their seasonal lasagna. Currently, it's a truffle and portabella lasagna that's supposed to be excellent.

What really impresses me, though, is their salad. Each lasagna comes with a salad, and it's not just some iceberg lettuce arranged in the form of a salad like some people's. (I'm looking at you, Yellow Vendor.) It's a really good rich spring mix, with kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, and tomatoes, and topped with shaved parmesan cheese. They didn't need to make this impressive of a salad. Just the lasagna would have been enough. But this is a great addition to their meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment