Thursday, February 23, 2012

Jack Rose

The Jack Rose is a cocktail with a long history. Popular in the 1920s and 30s, it appeared in a scene in Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. I was unaware of this drink until an eponymous bar opened up on the south end of Adams Morgan. I tried it when I went there for New Year's Eve, but for some reason don't recall the details of the drink. So having made some homemade grenadine, I thought this would be a great opportunity to try the drink again.

I found a couple different recipes in my cocktail books, and decided to go with the one from Dale DeGroff's Craft of the Cocktail. It was very tasty and refreshing, similar in fact to the effect I'm trying to get with my Apple Beverages. Sadly, it was way too sweet. My wife couldn't even finish it! So it's probably better without the simple syrup. Recipe after the jump.



1.5 oz Applejack
1 oz Simple syrup
3/4 oz lemon juice
2 dashes grenadine (used .5 oz)

No comments:

Post a Comment