Monday, February 20, 2012

Mexican Monk

I brought some mezcal home from Mexico with me, and thought I should try it in something other than a margarita. It naturally mixes well with tequila, but that can be a pretty harsh drink, even if you have decent agave products, so it can help to add something sweet. This is usually honey, or agave nectar if you want to stick with the agave theme. But I have a bottle of Benedictine laying around that I don't use much, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

It was pretty tasty. The Benedictine did a nice job of balancing out the harshness of the mezcal, while the mezcal was still able to contribute it's characteristic smokiness. I might add a different type of bitters next time, since I think the hopped grapefruit gets overpowered here. Recipe after the jump.




1.5 oz Tequila
1 oz Benedictine
.5 oz Mezcal
Bittermen's Hopped Grapefruit Bitters

No comments:

Post a Comment