Monday, March 26, 2012

Ella's Wood Fired Pizza

One of the things I miss about working near Farragut Square is the variety of options for pizza that exist. There's Fuel, there's DC Slices, Pizza Pino, Washington Deli, The Upper Crust, and that's just off the top of my head. Not all of them are equally good, but they are all pretty quick. It's not hard to get in and out in half an hour, and that's about what I get to spend on a lunch break. Here in Penn Quarter, things are different. Sure, there's Matchbox or Graffiato. But I don't trust either of those to get me in and out quickly. Pi's quick slice was pretty terrible. But thank goodness, there's Ella's.

The pizza here is Neapolitan style, which isn't my favorite type of pizza. But Ella's is cheesier than most, which from my perspective is a big improvement. Their pepperoni was just okay, but the margherita was above average. The basil was really fresh, and it had the right amount of salt. Sadly, the crust was not as caramelized as I like, or would have expected given the wood-fired stove. Not that I drink during my lunch hour, but they have a pretty good selection of craft beers. They also have $5 pizzas during happy hour, which doesn't help me for lunch, but which is probably a good time to check them out.

Ella's: 901 F St NW

No comments:

Post a Comment