Monday, March 19, 2012

Lion's Head Liquor Store

I've been looking forward to Lion's Head re-opening for a while; you can read my preview here. I finally got the chance to swing by this past weekend, and was generally very happy with what I saw. They have a pretty good selection of booze, and a great selection of beer and wine. Not only that, but the prices range from fair to very good.


I didn't spend too much time looking at the wines, and I'm not a very good judge of the quality of the selection anyway, so I'll just say it looked like they had plenty, and a pretty good variety. The beer selection was fantastic, comparable to and probably better than any other store north of De Vino's, with a variety of craft beers and more mainstream offerings. Sadly, there weren't very many Belgian beers, nor were there many large format beers.


Most of my time was spent ogling the liquor selection. It's behind the counter, which I find less than ideal, but there wasn't any bulletproof glass, so it was pretty easy to see what they had and how expensive it was. And the answer to how expensive it was, was generally 'not very.' Part of it is that I usually shop in downtown DC, but a lot of their selection was $4-5 cheaper than what I usually spend.


The selection, however, was a bit lacking. Plenty of low to middle-end stuff, but not very much top shelf product. Their selection of liqueur's was particularly lacking, which was especially disappointing as I had gone specifically to pick up some Luxardo maraschino liqueur. They didn't even have any bitters! Hopefully as they get feedback from the community, they'll improve on this score. I don't know what the market is for $40 gin, but certainly some Peychaud's or Angostura would not be remiss.

Now, it's a little far from where I live, and not on the way home from anywhere, so I don't know how often I'll end up going here. But it's pretty close to the Georgia-Petworth metro, so it's a good bet I'll be stopping in from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment