Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Aging Wines


In what is perhaps a rare gesture for me, I am the first to admit I don't know much about aging wines. But it's fun. I jumped aboard the bandwagon a few years ago, when I found that aging a wine from the Brandywine valley for just a year made a noticeable improvement. Since then, I've kept a wine fridge full of wines to age for a term between a year or two to 10 years (an anniversary present for my wife. Most of our presents are ones we enjoy together).

It's been a while since we've had one of our aged wines, so when the bottle we got from Ace Beverage was vinegar, we decided to open one up, a 2007 Cotes du Rhone. It ended up pretty fruity overall. The wine itself is dry, but there's a wonderful fruity finish that lasts fairly long. It was, perhaps, not the best wine to pair with our bison steaks, but it held up to them fairly well. You can see our sticky note in the picture; that's how we remind ourselves about how long we want to age. Since it's based just on random internet people most of the time, we generally feel free to ignore it when we want. We've always enjoyed the results we've had, and look forward to more aged wines in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment