Monday, January 30, 2012

Negroni

When I first started drinking cocktails, the Manhattan was my go-to cocktail. I still enjoy Manhattans (often), but my list of go-to cocktails has expanded to include the Negroni as a close second. I love the way the sweetness of the vermouth and the gin blends with the bitterness of the Campari and the sourness of the bitters.

1 oz Campari
1 oz Sweet Vermouth (Dolin Rouge)
1 oz Gin (New Amsterdam)
dash, grapefruit bitters

I haven't really experimented with the type of vermouth much, since Dolin is flexible enough to work fine with a variety of cocktails. I suspect Carpano Antica wouldn't work as well since it's so rich, but I don't really have space or money for an infinite number of vermouths. Campari is what it is, of course, but for a change you could consider using Aperol instead. I like to use a sweeter gin to balance out the Campari, so New Amsterdam works well for me. I've also used Bluecoat with good results, but I wouldn't use an expensive gin, since the subtlety would be lost in the Campari.

No comments:

Post a Comment