Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Blood Orange Negroni

This recipe comes from Matt Gilpin of Bottega via Serious Eats. It's a twist on the traditional Negroni, reducing the amount of Campari and sweet vermouth and replacing them with blood orange juice. It's really good. More citric than a traditional Negroni, the blood orange juice adds a different set of nuances, more acid and just a bit more sweetness. I went without the grapefruit bitters I usually add, and I think that was the right decision. I don't think I'd do this with normal orange juice; the extra sweetness of the blood orange is crucial here. I'm curious to see if I flamed the rind whether that would add anything. Fortunately, blood oranges are in season!
Blood Orange Negroni:
1 oz gin (New Amsterdam)
1/2 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin)
1/2 oz Campari
1 oz blood orange juice (probably closer to .75 oz)

No comments:

Post a Comment