Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fancy Toast


The other weekend I was at Passenger for the best pork cheek nachos in town. They typically have a board with the drinks of the day; the last item on the board was an item called "French Toast," involving Cointreau, Kumquat jam, and walnuts. Chatting with my wife, I mistakenly thought this was a beverage. It was not. It was actual french toast. (Fortunately, I didn't order it. I think I had a Corpse Reviver.) But I was inspired to try and create a drink that would taste like fancy french toast.

I used cognac as the based, because I thought it would give it a some nice undertones, and because it's fancy. I used Cointreau, both because the french toast used Cointreau and to replicate some of the orange-ness of the kumquat. I used hazelnut liqueur for the nuttiness, and Benedictine for breadiness.

It turned out pretty much like I was expecting. Some maple flavor might be nice, for the syrup, but it's definitely reminiscent of french toast. It's pretty thick, sweet, and boozy, so even though it's very tasty, I probably couldn't drink more than one. There are nice nutty notes, and a bit of orange. Recipe after the jump.




1.5 oz Cognac
.5 oz Cointreau
.5 oz Hazelnut liqueur
.5 oz Benedictine

No comments:

Post a Comment