Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fall-ing for Hemmingway


Now that I finally have some homemade Orgeat, I figured I should use it in a cocktail. There are lots of options. I wanted to save the traditional Mai Tai for when my wife was around, and for some reason, a lot of the other recipes I have laying around call for obscene amount of Angostura bitters. But the Plate recently posted a recipe that called for a reasonable amount of Angostura bitters. I still don't have any, but I'm more willing to substitute when an ingredient isn't a full ounce.

The first thing I noticed about this drink is how sweet it is. It's very good, and the lime juice helps balance it out, but between the rum and the orgeat, it's really sweet. After the sweetness, the main flavor I get is the allspice dram. I think I can take some nuts between the sweetness and the allspice, but that could just be my imagination. If I make this again, I'll probably up the lime juice to an ounce, or perhaps add more bitters. Recipe after the jump.

Fall-ing for Hemingway

Ingredients
1½ ounces Appleton Jamaican Rum
¾ ounce fresh lime juice
½ ounce house-made Orgeat syrup
½ ounce St. Elizabeth All Spice Dram Liqueur
1 dropper, tiki bitters

Directions
Mix all ingredients in a mixing glass, shake vigorously and strain into a Collins glass.
Garnish with lime wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment