Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pork Chops with 'Leeks' in Mustard Sauce

Photo by Jake Chessum.
One of the fun parts of joining a CSA is figuring out what to do with all the crazy vegetables you get. Sometimes, especially on weeks when you're going out of town, that's the frustrating part as well. This week, we found ourselves with extra thyme and spring onions, and I was feeling pork chops, so I pulled this recipe up off of Epicurious. It's supposed to use leeks, but the spring onions appeared similar enough that I figured I could get away with using them instead. My wife put the spice rub on the meat about three or four hours before I got home, and we were ready to go.

I followed the recipe pretty closely for the most part, though I rounded the cooking time up a little. I neglected to boil off the liquid at the end, before adding the mustard and the sour cream, but I let the sauce reduce a bit after that, without letting it boil, and was able to get a pretty good thickness to it. My wife made some mustard cabbage to go with the pork chops, which was a lot tastier than it sounds, and the chops themselves were excellent, juicy and tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment