Monday, December 10, 2012

The Howdini





It's apparently winter time here. I noticed because my neck keeps crying out for a scarf when I'm biking to work. And winter means maltier drinks. I was biking home, and my neck was suggesting I really needed some Genever when I got home. For some reason, it occurred to me to try Genever mixed with Averna. My Google search indicated that this wasn't a horrible idea, but the specific suggestions were, well, less than entirely specific. One of the results was a tweet from @howdiniguru that just read "@BolsGenever, Averna amaro, agave, peychaud's bitters, absinthe rinse. ... #cocktailBijou pour embrasser mon #défiWCW avec @BolsGenever ! @frmonti ..." The original tweet, and the context, has been lost to history, but the concept seemed sound.


The maltiness of the Genever provides a really nice, warming base. But the amaro helps give it a bit more definition, and the absinthe gives it depth. The Genever is, I think, important though. I don't think gin would be able to stand up to the Averna, and whiskey would be a bit too much. I used maple syrup instead of the agave, but there's not really enough to give it more than a hint of flavor. I'm curious about how different bitters would affect this cocktail. It seems that it's just the sort of balanced where different bitters could result in different, very good, drinks.

Howdini
1.5 oz Genever
.5 oz Averna
slug of maple syrup
Peychaud's bitters

Stir, rinse glass with absinthe, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment